New Zealand and Marine Insurance

As an island nation, Kiwis love the water, but are you protecting yourself adequately from the risks associated with this popular pastime? Just like you have insurance for your car, you should have insurance to cover your boat.

We can help you get the Marine Insurance protection you need while you are out on the water, so you can enjoy your boating with peace of mind.

Are you protected on the water?

Picture this. You’re berthing your boat in a marina and during the final stages you lose concentration and are involved in a collision, damaging the pontoon and piles and another boat in the process.

Your marine insurance policy will not only pay for the repairs to the marina, the damage to your boat, the other boat, but also any recovery costs, including removal of fuel.

What is Marine Insurance?

Marine insurance protects you and your business from marine risks covering water-going vessels, cargoes and related liabilities. There are 2 main types of marine insurance:

  1. personal pleasure craft insurance, which covers you and your personal marine craft (including yachts, launches, jet-boats and jet-skis) against loss or damage, and for liabilities you incur while using that craft.
  2. commercial marine insurance, which covers commercial vessels and their cargo, as well as the risks associated with exporting primary produce and importing agriculture-related goods, raw materials for manufacturing, manufactured goods and consumer items.

In this article, we’ll focus on Pleasure Craft Insurance.

What does Pleasure Craft Insurance cover?

Our Pleasure Craft Insurance policies cover anything that might happen to your boat, such as accidental and malicious damage, fire, theft of and from the boat, issues when trailering, and third-party damage.

It provides boat owners and their families cover should a boat need to be replaced or repaired, and your policy can also cover your moored boat when it is out of the water, or your boat trailer while it is being moored.

It doesn’t matter what kind of pleasure craft you own; you can be confident that we will find an insurance policy that fits your needs.

Do I need Pleasure Craft Insurance?

You wouldn’t drive your car around without vehicle insurance, so why would you take a risk with your pleasure craft? Whether it’s boating, cruising, fishing or sailing away at leisure.

Private and commercial vessel owners and operators, as well as associated businesses, require marine insurance. Many marinas around New Zealand now require berth-holders to have cover for loss of or damage to other people’s property, including infrastructure such as marina pontoons and piles.

How can we help?

At Wayne Grayson & Associates, we believe an informed insurance decision is the right one. Whether you’re after business or personal insurance, our expert brokers will ensure your insurance is the right fit for you.

We understand the complexity of Marine Insurance and can provide the right level of cover for you, your business, and your vessel.

Contact one of our brokers for advice on the best solution to suit you or your organisation.

Back to Blog